Forgery Crimes in New York city
Retain Experienced Criminal Defense Attorneys You Can Trust
The statutes of New York define forgery as "falsely making, completing, or altering a written instrument" with the purpose of deceit. Due to the serious nature of such a crime, a conviction for forgery can have serious consequences, including loss of employment and jail.
There are several intricacies related to the crime of forgery that make it difficult to understand without extensive experience. The attorneys at The Law Offices of Goldman & Associates have assisted numerous clients with similar charges and can use their knowledge and experience in your case as well. You can trust our firm to put your best interests at the forefront from start to finish.
Schedule your free initial consultation today!
How is forgery classified?
Crimes of forgery fall into different categories, including first-degree felonies, second-degree felonies, and third-degree misdemeanors. The seriousness of your crime will dictate the classification.
Forgery classifications include the following:
- Third-degree misdemeanor: Simply applies to the most basic definition of forgery
- Second-degree felony: Includes forgery of items that create or affect legal rights, public record, tokens used in place of money, and medical prescriptions
- First-degree felony: Forgery of any instruments issued by the government, such as stamps or money, and any items used as a claim against another organization
How is forgery punished?
Based on the classification of the forgery committed, there are various penalties that can be given to the guilty individual.
These penalties include:
- Third-degree misdemeanor: Imprisonment up to 1 year and a maximum fine of $1,000
- Second-degree felony: Imprisonment up to 7 years and a maximum fine of $5,000 or double the amount that was gained by the forgery
- First-degree felony: Imprisonment up to 15 years and a maximum fine of $5,000 or double the amount that was gained by the forgery
Any one of these sentences will seriously affect your future. The proper defense team is an invaluable asset in such cases.
Our team will fight for your future and provide personal attention to your case.
At our firm, we listen to you when you need it most. Our team understands the fear that comes along with the unknown, and we will work to alleviate that fear for you. For the past 30+ years, we have been single-mindedly committed to giving our clients the best legal representation possible.
Protect your future by calling The Law Offices of Goldman & Associates today. We proudly serve clients in all of New York City, including the Bronx and Manhattan, as well as Westchester and other counties.