Contact Us for a Free Consultation 718-538-5743

Civil Rights FAQ

Frequently asked questions on civil rights in New York City

Insight from our New York City Civil Rights Attorneys

Have your rights been violated?  Have you been falsely arrested or the victim of abuse at the hands of police or corrections officers? Are you unsure of how to protect these rights or take legal action against offenders? The good news is that you do not have to navigate this time on your own or figure out all the answers without counsel. Our civil rights attorneys can provide the insight and support you need.

For immediate answers, look through our FAQ section below. If you have more pressing questions, contact The Law Offices of Goldman & Associates today to receive further information. We offer free consultations.

What are my civil rights?

Under the protection of the U.S. Constitution, your rights include the following:

  • Freedom of speech, religion, and assembly
  • Right to procedural due process
  • Right to petition the government
  • Right to refuse search
  • Right to vote
  • Equal protection
  • Protecting against unlawful discrimination

If you feel like any of these have been violated, you may have a claim.

What types of civil rights violations do we take at Goldman & Associates?

At Goldman & Associates we represent those who have been falsely arrested or beaten by a police officer or correction officer. In order for one's case to be considered a false arrest, they must be arrested without a valid legal reason or, as known in legal terms, without a probable cause. However, even if a police office has a legal basis to arrest someone, that doesn't mean that they can beat the person.  A police office can use only the amount of force that is necessary to arrest someone.  If they use more force than is necessary to effectuate an arrest, you may have a lawsuit for police brutality.  In addition, we represent people who have been the victims of excessive force in a jail or prison.  If a correction officer uses more force than is necessary to get an inmate to comply with a lawful order, that person may have a lawsuit for what is called excessive force.

What are my options if I feel my rights have been violated?

If your civil rights have been violated, we can file a complaint on your behalf with either the Civilian Complaint Review Board or the Internal Affairs Division of the NYPD.

You may also want pursue a lawsuit. If we agree to represent you, we will file a complaint against the City of New York and the individual police officers or correction officers involved in the incident.  We will then vigorously pursue the case in court until we've achieved justice for you.

Should I obtain services from a civil rights attorney?

If you believe your civil rights were violated, it is crucial that you consult with an experienced civil rights attorney who can thoroughly look into and asses your claim to provide proper counsel and guidance. Your attorney can deal with the difficulties of proving a violation, rather than leaving you to carry the legal burden on your own. With a civil rights attorney protecting your best interests and utilizing their extensive knowledge of civil rights laws, you can rest assured knowing your case is in capable hands.

If you would like to discuss your case, do not hesitate to contact The Law Offices of Goldman & Associates to speak with our seasoned Westchester and New York City civil rights lawyers today.

We proudly serve clients in all of New York City, including the Bronx and Manhattan, as well as Westchester and other counties.

Contact Us Today

The Law Offices of Goldman & Associates is committed to answering your questions about criminal defense and civil rights law issues in New York City. We offer a free consultation and we'll gladly discuss your case with you at your convenience. Contact us today to schedule an appointment.